Re: Python constructors have particular semantics, and ‘Foo.__init__’ doesn't qualify

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 15 16:09:46 EST 2016

On 12/15/2016 2:04 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> On 12/14/2016 11:14 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>
>>> According to
>>> <https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/classes.html#method-objects>,
>>> “Foo.__init__” is _not_ an instance method.  Were it an instance
>>> method, the following would not happen:
>>

>> This link points to subsection 9.3.4. Method Objects

>> You have misread the docs.  Foo.__init__ is the function. Foo().__init__ is
>> a method object with the attribute __self__.  You omitted the ()s.
>
> I think this is actually the point that Thomas was making. He was
> responding to the assertion that "Foo.__init__" is an instance method
> and demonstrating that it's false because Foo is the class, not an
> instance of Foo.

The __init__ function *is* an 'instance method', but not a (bound)
method object.  The distinction is important.  I admit that 'instance
method' can be confusing if one does not understand the contextual
meaning of the two words.  A 'method' is a function that is a class
attribute. Being a method normally adds special behavior to the
function.  An 'instance method', the default status of a method,  takes
an *instance of the class* (or subclass) as first parameter.  A 'class
method' (relatively rare) takes the *class* (or subclass) as first
parameter.   A 'static method' (very rare) takes neither as first
parameter and is really just a function.

--
Terry Jan Reedy