The right way to 'call' a class attribute inside the same class

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Mon Dec 12 13:34:36 EST 2016

In <mailman.16.1481487105.2322.python-list at python.org> "Juan C." <juan0christian at gmail.com> writes:

> The instructor said that the right way to call a class attribute is to use
> 'Class.class_attr' notation, but on the web I found examples where people
> used 'self.class_attr' to call class attributes.

Class instances may override class attributes by creating local attributes
of the same name, in which case Class.class_attr and self.class_attr may
not be equal, so you'd have to use the correct one for your needs.

If you're sure that an instance does not override the class attribute,
then you can use whichever one you prefer.  self.class_attr may be more
convenient because you don't have to provide a specific class name.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears