CLP stats: last 500 posts

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sat Dec 10 03:13:15 EST 2016

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 03:15 pm, DFS wrote:

> On 12/09/2016 08:39 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 08:07 am, DFS wrote:
>>

>>> As of 04:04PM December 09, 2016
>>>
>>> Posts  85 Posters
>> [...]
>>

>> Interesting stats, but couldn't you have post-processed the results
>> to avoid including the defamatory spam posts?
>

> Normally I don't censor, at all.  But the spams are apparently way
> off-topic, so I'll filter out Subjects containing certain keywords.

Its not just the Subject, but also the fake Sender. There are at least five
distinct senders which are (apparently) defamatory messages in Italian.
They're all pretty obvious spam, in all caps, with various email addresses.

"... MEGLIO ..." <uccipaducci at gmx dot com>

> The spammer will still be counted, but the stats won't show all those
> stupid Subjects.

I don't mind if the spammer is counted. They probably should be collated
together, and count as a single sender using multiple addresses. But the
false name should be expunged or elided.

>> Your post is likely to be removed from the official web archive as
>> it contains defamatory material.
>
> Google seems to archive most Usenet posts, but there is no 'official web
> archive'.  Nor will those posts be auto-removed from GoogleGroups for
> their content.

comp.lang.python is a mirror of the python-list at python dot org mailing
list, which has an official web archive:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/

There are many unofficial ones as well.

There are a few other people who are banned from the mailing list but still
post to the newsgroup.

> Why does this wackjob post all that Italian-language spam to clp anyway?

Why do wackjobs do anything? He has a bee in his bonnet about some other
fellow, I don't even know if its a politician or just some guy he knows,
and (apparently) spams dozens of newsgroups with defamatory posts accusing
him of being a paedophile, a criminal, and more.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.