Running python from pty without prompt

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 21:16:56 EST 2016

On 12/09/2016 06:43 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 10:11 am, space.ship.traveller at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I'm working on a script runner for Atom.
>>
>> https://github.com/ioquatix/script-runner
>>
>> We are trying to understand how to make python work well. I'll use a
>> comparison to the ruby executable because it's convenient to explain the
>> problem.
>
> Could you show a small, simple demonstration of both the Ruby code that
> works they way you want, and the Python code that behaves differently?
>
> Preferably one that runs straight from vanilla Python without any
> third-party libraries, including your script-runner.

I imagine they want to feed Python a combination of a script and also
standard-in input in the same stream. Something like:

$ python << EOF
a = input("Enter your name: ")
print a
^D
bob
EOF

Where ^D is a literal control character (ctrl-v, control-d on the
terminal, but does not actually close the stream or signify the end).
This would be piped into Python's standard-in where it would feed python
both the script to run, and also input to feed the script.  Apparently
ruby can do this.

Did I understand this correctly, space.ship.traveller?