python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Fri Dec 9 00:07:42 EST 2016

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 12:32 pm, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> There is always VMS:
>
> volume:[dir.sub.subsub]fn.ext;ver
>
> (where volume could be a hardware device or a logical name -- which is NOT
> the same as an environment variable; only other place I've seen something
> similar is the Amiga -- where DH0: [or HD0: later] was the physical hard
> drive 0, SYS: was a logical name for the drive the system was loaded off,
> and OS: could have been the volume name assigned when formatting; and
> asking for files by volume name rather than drive name would result in a
> prompt to insert the named volume into ANY drive slot, and the OS would
> figure out where it was; the only time one was asked to insert media into
> a specific drive is when there was an open file on the drive -- since open
> files went through drive specific file handler instances)

Sounds similar to classic Mac OS, where you had:

    volume:path

where the path uses : as directory separators. Removable media (floppies,
removable hard drives) could be unplugged and re-inserted into any physical
drive, and the OS would track where the media was and whether it was
physically mounted or not.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.