MacOSX SpeechRecognition installation problems

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:29:53 EST 2016

On 12/08/2016 05:19 PM, 3dB wrote:
>>> pip install --user virtualenv
>>>
>>> It will wind up in $HOME/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages (or
>>> similar) I believe.
>
> Michael, Skip,
>
> I've noticed that Python is in the highest level of the drive,
> HDD/Library/Python as opposed to usr/Library. Does that present a
> problem?
>
> Also noticed that Python folder contains both versions 2.6 and 2.7.

OS X ships with both Python 2.6 and 2.7 apparently. The default is
probably 2.7.

System-wide libraries and other data are installed to /Library, which is
not typically writable to a normal user.  There are versions of all of
these directories installed in your user home directory, which are
writable to you and don't require any special privileges.  Skip was
saying if you can install to the directories in your home directory,
($HOME/Library/whatever instead of /Library/whatever) that is best since
it doesn't modify the system at all and so it won't get overwritten by
system updates or re-installs.  If you can run without root privileges
(without sudo) and use directories in your own home directory for python
modules you should.  I don't use OS X, so beyond this I am not of much
help.  Perhaps other Mac users will see this thread and pipe up.