python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Thu Dec 8 16:42:25 EST 2016

On 08/12/2016 19:36, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 6:15 AM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>>> So you're happy with the fact that there are legitimate file names that
>>> your
>>> program simply has no way of dealing with?
>>

>> Perfectly. Such names are illegal on its home OS which is Windows, and
>> ill-advised elsewhere.
>
> Awesome. Since you're using Windows as your definition of
> "ill-advised", I take it you assume that file names should be case
> insensitive, too, right? Cool. Let me know when you've figured out the
> uppercase and lowercase equivalents of this file name: "ßẞıİiIÅσςσ"

Python3 tells me that original, lower-case and upper-case versions are:

ßẞıİiIÅσςσ
ßßıi̇iiåσςσ
SSẞIİIIÅΣΣΣ

(Python2 failed to run the code:

s="ßẞıİiIÅσςσ"
print (s)
print (s.lower())
print (s.upper())
)

But, given that, what's your point? That some esoteric Unicode
characters have ill-defined upper and lower case versions, and therefore
it is essential to treat them distinctly in EVERY SINGLE ALPHABET
including English?

I guess that means that if I try a write a book about a character called
HarrY potter or james BOND then I cannot be sued.

--
Bartc