MacOSX SpeechRecognition installation problems

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 16:10:06 EST 2016

On 12/08/2016 01:26 PM, 3dB wrote:
> Thanks Michael,
>
> I think I was confusing Virtual Environment (VE) with IDE.
>
> Probably best if I get to grips with virtualenv to start with since I
> can't complete installations at present and VE appears to offer best
> solution.

Despite Anton's warning about sudo, you definitely could use it to
install the module to /Library and get on with using it for now, and
learn about virtual environments once you've got some python experience.
 The problem was that the install function of the package wanted to
write files to that location in /Library, which non-root users cannot
do. Prefacing that command with sudo will elevate access temporarily
allowing the installation to proceed. That's what I would do if I were
you.

Who cares if you have to redo it after you reinstall the OS, or even
move to a different computer. Yes virtual environments are nice and
self-contained and require no special privileges to use.  But if you
don't know anything about python, that's going to be an advanced topic
for now.