Linux terminals vs Windows consoles - was Re: python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:05:22 EST 2016

On 2016-12-08, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now we mostly just use one terminal type, "xterm."

Or various other terminal emulators tha are mostly ANSI and Unicode
aware...

And the Linux console...

It's interesting to note that the "real" xterm terminal emulator will
still emulate a Tektronix storage-scope graphics terminal (a terminal
that actually _implemented_ vector drawing rather than emulating it
with a raster-scanned array of pixels).

But, I know of plenty of people that still use real serial terminals
connected via serial ports.  Until very recently, one of my customers
had a group of techs that bought used Wyse 50 (green monochrome CRT)
serial terminals off e-bay, Craigsist, or wherever and refurbished
them in-house so that they could be sent out to the field for
installation (as retail POS terminals).  Last time I heard, they were
goint to switch to flat-screen "thin-clients".  I got a chance to play
with one of those, and it was an industrial Single-board-PC and LCD
monitor built into a single unit running Windows.  It was configured
to boot up and run a Wyse-50 terminal emulator -- and connect to the
"real" computer via an RS-232C serial port. :)

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! There's enough money
                                  at               here to buy 5000 cans of