python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Dec 8 10:54:24 EST 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016, at 00:15, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> and the shell expands the metacharacters ? {...} * [...] regardless of
> how much
> smarts the command itself has.
>
> There are thousands of programs I might use, and they may implement who
> knows
> how many different globbing rules:
>
> - some might support * and ? but not {...}

Just to point out, brace expansion isn't globbing. The most important
difference is that brace expansion doesn't care what files exist. {a,b}c
becomes "ac bc" regardless of if the files exist. {a,b}* becomes a* b*,
and if no files match one or both of these, it does whatever the shell
does in such cases.

This is why you can do commands like "mv
fix_a_ty{op,po}_in_this_filename"