python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Dec 8 10:37:27 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016, at 01:20, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> BartC wrote:
> > And globbing doesn't take care of all of it: a Linux program still has
> > to iterate over a loop of filenames. The same as on Windows, except the
> > latter will need to call a function to deliver the next filename.
>
> Actually, most of them will require *two* loops, one to
> iterate over a sequence of filespecs, and another for
> the files matching each filespec.

Speaking of which, I think I've advocated before for fileinput to
perform these loops, and for some mechanism for argparse to do it,
etc... seems like it's about that time again.

There are other issues, like needing a way to do Windows' version of
wildcard parsing with all its quirks, or at least some of its quirks -
"*.*" for all files and "*." for files not containing any dot being the
most commonly used in the real world.