sets anomaly

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Dec 8 00:27:41 EST 2016

On Thursday 08 December 2016 02:17, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Trying to write some code using sets (well frozen sets)
> And was hit by this anomaly
>
> This is the behavior of lists I analogously expect in sets:

> []
> [[]]
>>>>

> ie the empty list and the list of the empty list are different things

That's a property of the *list display*, [], not the list() constructor. The
list constructor takes an iterable of items, so if you pass it an empty
iterable, you get an empty list:

py> list([])
[]

Since there's no frozenset display, there's no analogy with [[]], and you
similarly get a single empty frozen set:

py> frozenset([])
frozenset()

Notice the repr()? Like list(), tuple(), set() and dict(), calling frozenset()
with no arguments returns an empty frozenset:

py> frozenset()
frozenset()

> And then some figuring out how to get an empty set into a set
> This is the best I get:
> frozenset({frozenset()})

py> Ø = frozenset()
py> frozenset([Ø])