PonyORM: generators as a query syntax

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 21:05:55 EST 2016

I was just made aware of a very interesting ORM project that has been
around since about 2013, while listening to a recent episode of the Talk
Python To Me podcast.  The idea of using generators to build queries is
really cool.  I'm sure PonyORM has its limitations and drawbacks, as all
ORM models do.  But I like what see so far, particularly how simple it
is from a programmer's point of view.  Thought others may not have heard
of it either, but would find it interesting:

https://ponyorm.com/

Anyone have any real-world experience with it vs some other ORM like
SQAlchemy?  I have a small database project that I may use PonyORM with
so we'll see how it goes.  I have not yet determined which versions of
Python it works with. Hopefully it supports Python 3.

I have no idea what kind of black magic is used under the hood to build
the SQL queries.