python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:53:41 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:57 AM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2016 12:39, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 10:54 PM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But if a program existed that took N filename parameters with the purpose
>>> of
>>> deleting each of them, then it can't tell if they were typed in
>>> individually
>>> (so indicating a stronger intent), or whether a finger slipped on a
>>> single
>>> filename and a "*" was added, in which case it could choose to ask for
>>> confirmation *if* it saw that this is a wildcard).
>>>
>>> 'Globbing' (if that means auto expansion) is taking away choice.
>>

>> And app globbing takes away choice, too. How would you, with the
>> Windows 'del' command, remove a single file that has a question mark
>> in the name? Or are you depending entirely on the fact that Windows
>> doesn't let you do that? Here's some of my music collection:
>

> I don't follow you. "?" is problematical on both systems. I think Windows
> disallows it completely: I get 'Protocol error' if I copy such a file from
> Linux to Windows. Presumably there is an escaping system, but I don't know
> what it is.

Nope. Not at all problematical on my Linux box. I can invoke that file
in any way I like, and it just works. Tab completion works. Globbing
works. Invoking it through Popen (or equivalent) works. It is a
perfectly acceptable file name.

The only time I have trouble with those files is when I copy them onto
an external drive so my brother can play them... on his Windows
computer. It's not the file name that has the problem. It's Windows.

ChrisA