python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:54:44 EST 2016

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 16:34:10 UTC, Michael Torrie  wrote:
> On 12/06/2016 06:52 AM, BartC wrote:
> > Then you don't get utterly ridiculous and dangerous behaviour such as
> > the cp example Paul Moore came up with (that trumps most of mine actually):
>
> It's potentially dangerous agreed.

Note, by the way, that BartC is misquoting me - I never said that behaviour was "ridiculous and dangerous". I pointed out that it was potentially dangerous and needs to be learned and understood. And that it's the result of a trade-off made by Unix, where Windows makes a different trade-off.

My point was in fact that BartC's position, that expecting completely different environments (Unix shells vs Windows shells vs Popen) to behave identically, is silly. *All* environments make usability trade-offs, and do so in different ways. Users need to learn these, or accept that any mistakes they make are due to their own lack of understanding, and not because, as BartC repeatedly (and rather offensively) asserts, the environments they are not familiar with are "stupid".

Paul