Detect Linux Runlevel

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:22:44 EST 2016

On 2016-12-07, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:
>
>> Whereas if it were mandatory locking, enforced by the OS, it
>> wouldn't be a problem?
>
> The point is, the utmp scheme seems to be fundamentally broken. You
> can't use a regular file for this kind of communication.

There are a few things in Unix that are fundamentally broken and
really just can't be used for the things they are intended for (serial
ports come to mind).

However, that doesn't seem to prevent them from having been used
sucessfully that way way for 40 years. ;)

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I KAISER ROLL?!
                                  at               What good is a Kaiser Roll