python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 7 08:26:44 EST 2016

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 12:07 am, eryk sun wrote:

>> latest step is Microsoft's partnership with Canonical (the company behind
>> Ubuntu Linux) to bring bash to Windows.
>
> The partnership with Canonical is to provide an entire Linux
> distribution, sans the kernel. The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
> works by translating Linux system calls to the NT kernel. It directly
> executes unmodified ELF binaries. I think it was a mistake to call it
> "bash on Windows". It seems like people think it's just a Windows port
> of bash.

/slaps forehead

Of course it is! Yes, you're right -- its more than just bash. I actually
knew that, but forgot, so thanks for the reminder.

The reason I misremembered it as just bash is when I learned about this,
after the initial chorus of people saying "hang on, its a day early for
April's Fool", the majority of comments I saw were from dual Windows/Linux
system administrators saying "At last I can use bash on Windows!".

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.