python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:18:40 EST 2016

On 12/06/2016 04:37 PM, BartC wrote:
> How does that work?
>
> Suppose I provide an assortment of applications that would work better
> if wildcards are expanded.
>
> Do I then have to provide one more application, a shell, to be run first
> if someone wants to run any of my applications? Which they then have to
> quit if they want to run some other programs that depend on wildcard
> expansion.
>
> (Actually at this point I haven't got a clue as to how Unix applications
> are distributed. I guess it's not as simple as just providing a binary
> executable. For the moment, I'm using C source code as every Unix system
> has a C compiler. I suppose it could be Python source too, but I doubt
> if my interpreters written in Python will run quite as briskly -- I find
> C slow enough for this purpose.)

I'm not sure what your point is. If your app targets Windows, you'll
need to support the filespec thing and do your own globbing because
that's the only mechanism Windows provides.  If your app targets unix,
you'll probably want to do things the way unix users expect. If unix
targets are important to you you take the time to learn about the
environment in which you want your programs to run.