Detect Linux Runlevel

Wildman best_lay at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 6 11:18:22 EST 2016

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 01:14:35 +0100, Bernd Nawothnig wrote:

> On 2016-12-05, Wildman wrote:
>> And I am trying to write it without using external programs, where
>> possible.
>
> That is not the Unix way.

Yes, but it is my way.

>> I am a hobby programmer and I've been trying to learn python
>> for a few months now.  The program is 'worthlessware' but it
>> is a 'learning experience' for me.
>
> It looks for me like a worthless learning experience.

It is sad that you consider learning something new to
be worthless.  I used the term "worthlessware" in an
economical sense, meaning it has little or no commercial
value.  However, from a learning standpoint I consider
it to be priceless.

>> A friend wrote a similar program in Bash script and I have been
>> working on translating it to Python.
>
> Stay with shell script for such tasks. It is never a good idea to
> choose the programming language before closer evaluating the problem.

You have a right to your opinion but I fail to see what
that has to do with the price of eggs.  I picked Python
just because I wanted to learn it not because I had a
particular problem to solve.  If your job was to advocate
Python, I would suggest you find another line of work.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!