python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:49:46 EST 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016, at 21:21, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> 	They are languages in their own right, with their own rules.
>
> 	The Windows command prompt being one of the weakest -- it doesn't
> support arithmetic and local variables, nor (to my knowledge) looping
> constructs. BAT files are limited to something like 9 parameters (which
> may
> be the only argument for not expanding wildcards at the command line
> level).

There are only nine that you can name explicitly, but there's no
obstacle to handling more with shift or %*. Also, there is a 'for' loop,
though the syntax is somewhat arcane (and you can always loop with
if/goto)

It can do arithmetic with 'set /a', and there is a 'setlocal' command
for local variable scopes.