Detect Linux Runlevel

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Dec 6 08:51:48 EST 2016

On 2016-12-06 01:14, Bernd Nawothnig wrote:
> > I am a hobby programmer and I've been trying to learn python
> > for a few months now.  The program is 'worthlessware' but it
> > is a 'learning experience' for me.
>
> It looks for me like a worthless learning experience.

Eh, one person's "worthless learning experience" is another person's
curiosity-satisfying education.  I found it an exercise in learning
something new about the utmp log format (previously an opaque binary
blob)

> > A friend wrote a similar program in Bash script and I have been
> > working on translating it to Python.
>
> Stay with shell script for such tasks. It is never a good idea to
> choose the programming language before closer evaluating the
> problem.

Based on the OP's description, this is a small part of a much larger
program.  And I would personally rather maintain a large Python
code-base than a large Bash code-base.

-tkc