python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Tue Dec 6 08:25:21 EST 2016

On 06/12/2016 12:40, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> BartC wrote:
>> I've given a dozen examples where the shell's auto-expansion can screw
>> things up.
>
> Only because you're taking Windows conventions and trying
> to apply them to Unix.

What, the convention of NOT assuming that any command parameter that
uses * or ? MUST refer to whatever set of filenames happen to match in
the current directory? And to then insert N arbitrary filenames in the
parameter list.

That's a pretty good convention, yes?!

(Or should that be yesx! yesy!)

> That's like somebody from the USA visiting Britain and
> thinking "OMG! These people are all going to get themselves
> killed, they're driving on the wrong side of the road!"

Or someone from Britain visiting the USA and saying OMG, everyone's got
a gun! Suppose someone runs amok and shoots everybody!

--
Bartc