Detect Linux Runlevel

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:41:07 EST 2016

On 12/05/2016 07:48 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:08 am, Michael Torrie wrote about systemd:
>
>> I have yet to see any evidence of this Pyonguang situation.
>
> Let me guess... you're running a single-user Linux box?

No I've done it on servers that weren't single-user (mail and web
servers in particular).  Not sure what you're getting at there, or why
that's relevant.  All Linux machines are set up and run as multi-user
boxes anyway.  Even my laptop that only I use.

> Fortunately, I've managed to avoid needing to personally interact with
> systemd at all. But over the last year or so, I've had to listen to a
> continual chorus of complaints from the sys admins I work with as they
> struggle to adapt our code to the Brave New World of systemd.
>
> Let me put it this way: one of our techs took it upon himself to migrate our
> Python code base from Python 2.6 to 3.4, some tens of thousands of lines.
> It took him half of one afternoon.
>
> In comparison, migrating to systemd has given us nothing but headaches, and
> invariably when we try asking for help on the main systemd IRC channel
> we're told that we're wrong for wanting to do what we want to do.

Well since I have no idea what you were trying to do I can't comment.

> Not just "systemd can't do that", but "you shouldn't do that".
>
> Why not? We used to do it, and it is necessary for our application.

That sounds frustrating, but of course I've heard similar stories from
folks moving to Python 3. :)

> "Because its wrong."

I've yet to encounter any of those kind of problems your admins
apparently had.  Also systemd in no way prevents you from using init
scripts or even inetd services if you choose, so there's always a
fallback position.

I'll have to specifically ask my friend who works for Bluehost about any
systemd troubles next time I speak with her.