Detect Linux Runlevel

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Mon Dec 5 21:48:27 EST 2016

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 11:08 am, Michael Torrie wrote about systemd:

> I have yet to see any evidence of this Pyonguang situation.

Let me guess... you're running a single-user Linux box?

Fortunately, I've managed to avoid needing to personally interact with
systemd at all. But over the last year or so, I've had to listen to a
continual chorus of complaints from the sys admins I work with as they
struggle to adapt our code to the Brave New World of systemd.

Let me put it this way: one of our techs took it upon himself to migrate our
Python code base from Python 2.6 to 3.4, some tens of thousands of lines.
It took him half of one afternoon.

In comparison, migrating to systemd has given us nothing but headaches, and
invariably when we try asking for help on the main systemd IRC channel
we're told that we're wrong for wanting to do what we want to do.

Not just "systemd can't do that", but "you shouldn't do that".

Why not? We used to do it, and it is necessary for our application.

"Because its wrong."

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.