Asyncio -- delayed calculation

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Fri Dec 2 09:26:30 EST 2016

"Steve D'Aprano"  wrote in message
news:58417e2d$0$1612$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com...

> My first impressions on this is that we have a couple of good models for
> preemptive parallelism, threads and processes, both of which can do
> everything that concurrency can do, and more, and both of which are
> significantly easier to understand too.
>
> So why do we need asyncio? What is it actually good for?

As I have mentioned, my use-case is a multi-user client/server system.

The traditional approach used to be to use threads to allow multiple users
to work concurrently.

Then Twisted made a strong case for an asynchronous approach. One of their
claims (which I have no reason to doubt) was that, because each user
'session' spends most of its time waiting for something - keyboard input,
reply from database, etc - their approach allows hundreds of concurrent
users, something that I believe would not be possible with threading or
multi-processing.

Frank Millman