[OT] Altair

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at Vex.Net
Tue Aug 30 15:48:24 EDT 2016

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:51:54 +0200
Joe <test at joepgen.com> wrote:
> I think the first BASIC Interpreter ever sold by Gates & Friend was
> for this machine? How did you use your floppy drives on this machine
> (Open-Write-Close)?

The floppy drive came with an operating system called MDOS - Micropolis
Disk Operating System.  Once you loaded it by selecting the ROM address
on the front panel, setting the PC and hitting RUN it took over.  There
was a bit of configuration, handled through the switches, that had to
be done and then any further changes were done to the image in memory
and saved to disk.

When I finally upgraded to a whopping 64K of RAM (with a Morrow S-100
memory board) I had to blank out the section where the disk controller
sat in memory.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net