Alternatives to XML?

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Aug 25 10:45:47 EDT 2016

"Peter Otten"  wrote in message news:npmti0$qvu$1 at blaine.gmane.org...

> Frank Millman wrote:

> > At the risk of disappointing some of you, this is how I am going to
> > proceed.

> 'Tis too late for me to stop ;)

> > The problem that prompted this thread was the issue of storing '<' and
> > '>' in attributes. I have come up with a simple workaround - pass the
> > XML through a function between the database and the gui, converting from
> > '>'  to '>' in one direction, and back to '>' in the other. It
> > works.

> As you have to keep the "<", why bother?

If you mean why don't I convert the '<' to '<', the answer is that I do -
I just omitted to say so. However, explicit is better than implicit :-)

> > If I ever get my project to the point where I need to move it to the
> > front, I will know that I am getting somewhere!

> At that point you may also look at my messy/buggy/incomplete attempt to
> convert between xml and python:

[snip some impressive code]

Wow - that is impressive! I don't know if I will go that route, but I have
kept a copy and will study it closely when I have time.

Many thanks

Frank