Alternatives to XML?

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Aug 25 07:23:14 EDT 2016

"Frank Millman"  wrote in message news:nplvvl$ci2$1 at blaine.gmane.org...

> Hi all

> I have mentioned in the past that I use XML for storing certain structures
> 'off-line', and I got a number of comments urging me to use JSON or YAML
> instead.

> Can anyone offer an alternative which is closer to my original intention?

Thanks to Chris and Peter for their additional input - much appreciated.

At the risk of disappointing some of you, this is how I am going to proceed.

1. I am writing tools to make it easier to develop business systems, and at
the same time I am developing a business system. As the tools mature I am
spending more time on the system, but as I work on the system I am finding
shortcomings in the tools, so I am bouncing between the two at the moment.

2. There are many areas of the tools which other users will find confusing
at first and will require explanations and documentation. I am more than
ready to make changes based on the reactions I get. The subject of this
thread is one small part of this.

3. My immediate priority is to finish the business system, get it out there,
and get feedback. Hopefully other users will then start dabbling with the
tools and provide feedback there as well.

4. As I have said already, for good or ill, I am comfortable with my current
use of XML, so I do not have a pressing need to change to anything else. The
problem that prompted this thread was the issue of storing '<' and '>' in
attributes. I have come up with a simple workaround - pass the XML through a
function between the database and the gui, converting from '>'  to '>' in
one direction, and back to '>' in the other. It works.

5. I have learned a lot from this thread, but for now it is staying in the
back of my mind. If I ever get my project to the point where I need to move
it to the front, I will know that I am getting somewhere!

Thanks again to all.

Frank