Does This Scare You?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Aug 22 20:12:36 EDT 2016

On 08/19/2016 06:11 PM, Wildman via Python-list wrote:

> Since I am fairly new to Python, I realize there is much that I
> still don't know but I don't understand how Windows can have
> reserved names on a Linux system.  What am I missing?

A PureWindowsPath (and PurePosixPath and PurePath) is a theoretical -- it's still, basically, a string and hasn't been checked against the file system to see if it actually exists (or to create it, etc.).

A WindowsPath (PosixPath) does actually have a tie-in to the actual file system, and can only be instantiated on Windows (Posix) systems.

--
~Ethan~