PEP suggestion: Uniform way to indicate Python language version

rocky rocky at gnu.org
Mon Aug 22 08:49:36 EDT 2016

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 8:05:15 AM UTC-4, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> rocky <rocky at gnu.org>:
>
> > A slightly different but related problem is noting the Python dialect
> > at the package-level.
>
> I don't know what if anything is needed support this idea, but one
> option would be to just use "import":
>
>     import python3_5_17
>
> That would require Python and modules to install such empty modules to
> indicate that they support the given API.
>

> Marko

Yes, that is the intent of File/module python30.py in the first post. The only difference is that because there is code too, when run, it can enforce the version declared.

As mentioned originally, a problem with this is that you have a proliferation of names and files.

Better, I htink would be a way to pass a parameter string. Perl's "use" mechanism happens to allow passing in such a parameter. In Python without syntactic sugar this would be a two-step process of first importing and then calling something with the version range.