PEP suggestion: Uniform way to indicate Python language version

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Aug 22 02:17:00 EDT 2016

On Monday 22 August 2016 16:03, Stefan Behnel wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano schrieb am 22.08.2016 um 07:35:
>> if sys.version < '3':
>>     import mymodule2 as mymodule
>> else:
>>     import mymodule3 as mymodule
>
> This condition is going to fail when Python 30.0 comes out.

That will be sometime around the year 2257, based on a 18 month minor release
cycle and 8 minor releases per major release. I'll deal with it around 2233 or
so when Python 28.0 comes out.

All joking aside, if Python is still in active development by the time we reach
Python 9.7 in roughly seventy years time, I'll be surprised.

--
Steve