saving octet-stream png file

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Aug 20 03:50:58 EDT 2016

Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com>:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016, at 16:51, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 6:03:53 AM UTC+12, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> > An 'octet' is a byte of 8 bits.
>> Is there any other size of byte?
> Not very often anymore.

The main difference between an octet and a byte is that a "byte" is used
when talking about computers while an "octet" is a term used in
telecommunications protocols.

(If I'm not mistaken, "octet" is also French for "byte".)

Somewhat analogously, a programmer can rely on integers being
2's-complement. IOW, even in Python,

    -X == ~X + 1

for any integer.

2'scomplement arithmetics is quite often taken advantage of in C
programming. Unfortunately, with the castration of signed integers with
the most recent C standards, 2's-complement has been dangerously broken.

Marko