Does This Scare You?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:20:44 EDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Wildman via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> Since I am fairly new to Python, I realize there is much that I
> still don't know but I don't understand how Windows can have
> reserved names on a Linux system.  What am I missing?

The PureWindowsPath class is specifically working with the Windows
file system rules. Those names aren't reserved under Linux, but you
can still ask the pathlib module whether or not they *would be*
reserved under Windows. This is very handy if you're planning to
create files and don't know whether they'd work or not - you don't
need to grab a Windows machine (virtual or physical) to test stuff.

ChrisA