type lookuperror

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Aug 19 02:24:25 EDT 2016

Chris Angelico wrote:
> You can't get a program to program itself. That's called the
> Singularity [1], and depending on your point of view, it's either
> still in the future, or fundamentally impossible.

Quite likely it's provably impossible. A computer that
can program itself for anything you might want it to
do is equivalent to having a very general-purpose
program that is capable of solving any problem. That's
probably in contravention of Goedel's incompleteness
theorem or something like that.

Anyway, I wouldn't want such a computer -- it would
take away all the fun!

--
Greg