I am new to python. I have a few questions coming from an armature!

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Wed Aug 17 03:26:26 EDT 2016

Am 17.08.16 um 08:39 schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
> Quote:
>
>     The Python syntax for conditional expressions (introduced in Python 2.5) is
>
>         trueval if cond else falseval
>
>     I think this is bloody awful. Why couldn’t they have adopted the standard C
>     syntax, as used in a whole bunch of other C-derivative languages?
>
>         cond ? trueval : falseval
>

> Because the C syntax is horrifically ugly,

De gustibus non est disputandum.

> whereas the Python syntax is very
> close to real English syntax.
>
> "What will you do tonight?"
>
> "Go to the movies, if I finish work on time, otherwise just go home."

This is a non-sequitur. You could as well say, in English:

"If I finish work on time, I go to the movies, otherwise just go home."

In fact, that's how an if-clause looks like in Python

if work_done():
	go_to_movies()
else:
	go_home()

Do you also struggle reading this?

> Every time you read the C syntax, you lose another three minutes off your
> lifespan. That's how ugly it is.

It's an acquired taste. I'm not arguing that one is better than the
other - it depends on what you are used to. I can read both without
problems, but I avoid writing conditional expressions - if the
subexpressions are not very simple.

	Christian