I am new to python. I have a few questions coming from an armature!

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 16 14:46:02 EDT 2016

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 11:35:07 -0700, sohcahtoa82 wrote:

> On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 8:07:32 AM UTC-7, alister wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:00:47 -0700, Sickfit92 wrote:
>>
>> > 1. How long did it take you guys to master the language or, let me
>> > put it this way to completely get the hang and start writing code?
>> >
> <snip>
>> Some concepts took more time than others before I had the "Light bulb"
>> moment, Comprehensions & decorators being the most notable although
>> Lambda still escapes me, fortunately these can all be unrolled into
>> larger functions so are not essential in the early stages
>>
> <snip>
>
> What helped me understand Lambdas is figuring out that they're really
> just a $1,000 term for a $5 concept.
>
> A lambda is just a single-line function without a name (Unless you
> assign it to one).  A syntactic shortcut.
>
> def square_plus_one(x):
>     return x ** 2 + 1
>
> squared_plus_one_list = map(square_plus_one, some_list)
>
> is equivalent to:
>
> squared_plus_one_list = map(lambda x: x**2 + 1, some_list)

probably the cleanest example I have seen so far, & I still cant see the
point

the most enlightening thing here for me is your comet about it being a
$1000 term for a $5 concept.

I don't think I am missing anything by not bothering with them YMMV

--
"The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the flexibility
of