I am new to python. I have a few questions coming from an armature!

Lawrence D’Oliveiro lawrencedo99 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 02:51:29 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 6:34:53 PM UTC+12, Ian wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2016 6:57 PM, "Lawrence D’Oliveiro" wrote:
>
> Python, on the other hand, introduces the special word “lambda” for this
> purpose, eschewing its usual “def”.
>
> Why? Something to do with GvR’s allergy to anonymous functions...
>
> Actually, GvR is on record stating that he's never much cared for the name
> "lambda":
> http://python-history.blogspot.com/2009/04/origins-of-pythons-functional-features.html?m=1
>
> The name was picked by the contributor who wrote the implementation,
> apparently with little discussion.

I see. I thought I saw a mention somewhere else that Python lambdas were designed to be less functional than full def-style functions.

But perhaps this limitation wasn’t intentional, just an inherent consequence of the fact that Python’s significant-whitespace rules only apply to statements, not expressions...