Anyone here running Python on a PowerPC?

Lawrence D’Oliveiro lawrencedo99 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 23:54:06 EDT 2016

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 3:11:56 PM UTC+12, Michael Torrie wrote:
> I also suggested QEMU, but I'm not sure it's 64-bit PPC, and I'm pretty
> sure PowerMacs wouldn't be 64-bit either.  Though I see some references
> to PPC64 and QEMU in google searches.

A little table here <https://gmplib.org/~tege/qemu.html> has a “yes” in the “ppc64” column and “GNU/Linux” row. The referenced note 12 says to use qemu 2.0.0 and the “qemu-system-ppc64” command, plus some other details. (That command does exist on my system, though I’ve not tried it.)

While Apple never used 64-bit PowerPC processors, it was clear that the architecture was designed with 64-bit in mind from the beginning. Just like the Motorola 68000 and immediate successors in the early 1980s were cut-down 32-bit processors, so the 601 etc through the 1990s were cut-down 64-bit processors.

(There was a full 64-bit PowerPC processor, the 620, released as part of the first generation in 1994 or so. Did anybody ever make use of it?)