Looking for info on how Python developers negotiate breaking changes in PyPI packages

Chris Bogart cbogart at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Aug 13 13:15:45 EDT 2016

Hi, I'm looking for some help from Python developers who write PyPI
packages (or open source software that depends on PyPI packages). My
research group is interested in the impacts of different choices
package managers make when designing their ecosystems -- e.g.
Python/PyPi, Hackage and R/CRAN. We'd like to know what the
implications of PyPI's design choices are on Python programmers'
collaboration when making breaking changes among packages, and what
you think PyPI's design is trying to accomplish.

Could I ask people to take ~20 minutes of your time and fill out our
survey at http://breakingapis.org/survey ? I'll report back here when
we've analyzed the results (or there's a sign up link to be notified
when results are out at http://breakingapis.org ).

(If you don't use PyPI, but do use some other software ecosystem, like
Node.js/NPM, CPAN, Erlang/Hex, or something else, we're still
interested -- just make a different "software ecosystem" choice on the
first page. The study is a comparison among ecosystems; PyPI is one
point of comparison).

Thanks,
Chris Bogart
Institute for Software Research