What's the best way to minimize the need of run time checks?

Steven D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sat Aug 13 03:43:25 EDT 2016

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 11:30 pm, Michael Torrie wrote:

>> The first time I ever compiled a full-sized application (not a particular
>> large one either, it was a text editor a little more featureful than
>> Notepad) it took something like nine hours to compile on a Mac SE (this
>> was circa 1990). How mad would I have been if, eight hours and thirty
>> minutes into the compilation, the compiler suddenly stopped with an error
>> caused by a mistyped variable name?
>
> Surely this application was built using a build system, even back then,
> that would allow compilation to resume and not rebuild object files that
> were already built.

To be honest, I don't remember. It was so-called "Lightspeed Pascal", later
renamed "Think Pascal", and especially after that experience I mostly used
it for experimenting with Hypertalk XCMDs and XFNCs, which were much
simpler as they weren't stand-alone GUI applications.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.