Win32 API in pywin32

Lawrence D’Oliveiro lawrencedo99 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 00:22:30 EDT 2016

On Friday, August 5, 2016 at 11:58:05 AM UTC+12, I wrote:

> Are people still using Win32? I thought Windows went 64-bit years ago.

Here <http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/05/microsoft-learn-from-apple-ii/3/> is a little titbit I was looking for:

    Win32 has a function for getting the size of a file. File sizes on
    Windows are limited to 2^64 bytes, and so they need a 64-bit integer to
    be expressed easily. But the API call to get the size of a file doesn't
    give you a 64-bit value. Instead, it gives you a pair of 32-bit values
    that have to be combined in a particular way. For 32-bit Windows, that's
    sort of understandable; 32-bit Windows is, well, 32-bit, so you might not
    expect to be able to use 64-bit integers. But if you use the same API in
    64-bit Windows, it still gives you the pair of numbers, rather than just
    a nice simple 64-bit number. While this made some kind of sense on 32-bit
    Windows, it makes no sense at all on 64-bit Windows, since 64-bit Windows
    can, by definition, use 64-bit numbers.

This is why it’s still called “Win32” and not “Win64”...