Asynchronous programming

Steven D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu Aug 11 13:02:09 EDT 2016

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 03:34 pm, Paul Rudin wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> writes:
>

>> Is there a good beginner's tutorial introducing the basics of
>> asynchronous programming? Starting with, why and where would you use it?
>
> You could do worse than watch Dave Beazley's pycon talk:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYe8W04ERnY

Thanks. I'm not sure that it helped. I kind of gibbered a bit when Dave said
that threaded code was good because you can easily reason about it. Most of
his talk is about how asyncio shouldn't be in the standard library, and the
rest didn't really answer my questions.

What I'm taking from this is that asynchronous programming is mindboggling
difficult to reason about or understand, and its the best thing ever.

*half-a-wink*

Having-flashbacks-to-when-I-was-first-introduced-to-OOP-ly y'rs,

--
Steve
If anyone mentions monads, I'm out of here.