Asynchronous programming

Paul Rudin paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 06:16:27 EDT 2016

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:45 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> I don't know whether you would call that a callback. I suppose it could be, in
>> the sense that you might say:
>>
>>     button.set_mouseup_function(mouseUp)
>>
>> but I'm used to thinking of it as a property of the button.
>
> "Callback" simply means "function that someone else calls". In fact,
> most dunder methods could be described as callbacks.

A callback is normally a callable you pass to some other function with
the expectation that it will be invoked in certain circumstances.

That's not really the same thing as something someone else calls: any
function that's part of a published api is intended to be called by
someone else; but that doesn't really make it a callback.