How do I make a video animation with transparent background?

Martin Schöön martin.schoon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 17:34:18 EDT 2016

Den 2016-08-10 skrev Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus at gmx.de>:
> Am 09.08.16 um 14:44 schrieb Martin Schöön:
>> Using this example:
>> http://matplotlib.org/examples/animation/moviewriter.html
>> and this tutorial:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0F5X4b7jug
>> I have covered a lot of ground.
>>
>> What I have failed to achieve is a graph with a transparent
>> background. None of the leads I have found searching the Internet
>> have helped me. (I may have found the needed information without
>> realising it...)
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>

> Here is a simple idea: Draw the background with a colour, that is not
> used in the graphs, like bright blue or green. Any decent video editing
> software should support colour keying, i.e. masking the green parts out,
> becuase this is used in film production (green screening)
>
> 	Christian

Thanks for all the input so far and not only Christian but all of you.

Yes, after posting I did some more research and started to realise
that I may have barked up the wrong tree when assuming my use of
Matplotlib needed to be improved to get the intended result.

Next on my TODO list is to look into the color composition idea. I
have already looked this tutorial:
https://youtu.be/sZzmksnzrX0

What I would like to end up with is something like this:
https://youtu.be/aHEyRoDmDWk
(graph in lower right corner and 'speedometer' in lower left corner)

/Martin