What's the best way to minimize the need of run time checks?

Steven D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Wed Aug 10 07:34:12 EDT 2016

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:48 pm, BartC wrote:

> On 10/08/2016 02:47, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>> How about the difference between getting a compile-time error immediately
>> you try to compile your program, and a run-time error three quarters of
>> the way through processing a billion records, leaving your data in a
>> corrupted state?
>
> And when it is a customer (perhaps in a different country) who is in the
> middle of running your code.

Depends on the customer, the application, and most of all, what the bug is.

In order of priority:

- bugs which threaten people's lives;
- security bugs;
- bugs that corrupt or destroy saved data or files;
- bugs that lose unsaved data;
- bugs that cause the software to do the wrong thing;
- bugs that prevent you from doing the right thing;
- presentation bugs;
- minor UI bugs which don't impact usability.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/moon/computer.htm

http://www.klabs.org/history/apollo_11_alarms/eyles_2004/eyles_2004.htm

--
Steve