Make sure you removed all debugging print statements error

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 10 06:21:17 EDT 2016

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:23:40 +0000, alister wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:53:56 -0700, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 4:20:37 AM UTC+12, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>> Firstly, the bare "except:" clause should basically never be used;
>>> instead, catch a very specific exception and figure out what you want
>>> to do here
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> - but secondly, don't force people's names to be subdivided.
>>
>> I like the French convention
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/nzpug/BJAPKnYHXb4/tfi30IqCPpUJ>.
>
> I may not have a family name at all

Damn this would have been an ideal place to reference Fawlty Towers (not
monty python but close).

Basil: Your Name please could I have your name
Lord Melbury: Melbury
Basil: Could you fill it in please
Basil: There There There
Basil: BOTH Names Please
Lord Melbury: I Beg Your pardon>
Basil: Would you put BOTH Your names please.
Lord Melbury: er I only use one.
Basil: You Don't have a first name?
Lord Melbury: No I am Lord Melbury, so i simply sign Melbury.

(simultanious Telephone conversation deleted for clarity)

Note with English titles such as Lordship, they may or May not have an
relationship to the recipients actual family name, often they refer to
the location of the lords residency.

--
IBM Advanced Systems Group -- a bunch of mindless jerks, who'll be first
against the wall when the revolution comes...