Individuals and groups (was Specify the database for a Django)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Aug 10 02:01:51 EDT 2016

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 6:39:31 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:
> > --
> >  \       “I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and |
> >   `\     despise the groups they identify with and belong to.” —George |
> > _o__)                                                     Carlin, 2007 |
>
> Nice quote — thanks!

George Carlin's stand-up comedy act grew progressively nastier and more
cynical in his later years. It can give the impression that he was a
thoroughgoing misanthrope after the 1990s.

Which can make it pleasantly surprising to view some of the contemporary
interviews he gave, such as the one from which the above quote is taken.
He was never shy about stating what was wrong in the world, but given
the opportunity to speak off stage was also a surprisingly optimistic
and compassionate man.

--
 \       “… whoever claims any right that he is unwilling to accord to |
  `\             his fellow-men is dishonest and infamous.” —Robert G. |