Running Python from the source repo

Steven D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sun Aug 7 22:11:31 EDT 2016

I have cloned the Python source repo, and build CPython, as described here:

https://docs.python.org/devguide/

Now a little bit later, I want to update the repo, so I run:

hg fetch

to get and apply any changes. How do I know if I need to rebuild Python? I
don't want to have to rebuild after every fetch, because that's quite time
consuming (I estimate about five minutes on my machine, just long enough to
be a distraction but not long enough to get into something else). Plus the
time to run the tests (significantly longer).

What do others do?

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.