Python slang

Michael Selik michael.selik at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 02:30:43 EDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 10:12 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> That answers the question about True and False, but not about None,
> which started the question. Why are instances capitalized here? Is it
> simply a matter of grandfathering in, with no specific decision?

When people ask me why the core classes are lowercased, I joke that it's
following Hamming's thought that "true greatness" is when your name is
spelled all lower case [0]. Great things are capitalized, like Counter, but
truly great things are lowercased, like dict.

BTW, this leads me to the thought that someone should edit Wikipedia to
properly lowercase "hamming window".

[0] "You and Your Research" (http://www.paulgraham.com/hamming.html)