Python slang

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:13:58 EDT 2016

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Marco Sulla
<mail.python.org at marco.sulla.e4ward.com> wrote:
> I want to clarify that when I say "different from the other
> languages", I mean "different from the most used languages", that in
> my mind are C/C++, C#, Java, PHP and Javascript, mainly.

Ah, well, that's because those are all one family of languages. If
instead you were familiar with four LISPy languages, you'd have a
completely different set of expectations.

> I agree it's not hard to understand that `str` is the string type and
> `len()` is the function that gives you the length, even if you don't
> know Python (and it's shorter to type...) But it's hard to remember,
> in particular if you code also in other languages. When I come back to
> Python, I always ends to write  `somelist.length` instead of
> `len(somelist)`, some arcane words come out my mouth and a little
> fairy dies.

You open your mouth and a fairy dies.... hmm. Can I offer you a breath mint? :)

ChrisA